[OpenIndiana-discuss] ntp woes

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Thu Apr 26 17:09:32 UTC 2012

On 4/26/12 12:55 PM, James Carlson wrote:
> Gary Gendel wrote:
>> I could use a bit of advice. My OpenIndiana machine can not update it's
>> time from the ntp servers.  I noticed that the time was off by a couple
>> of minutes.
>>
>> The machine has two nics:
>>
>> bge0 - wan
>> bge1 - lan
>>
>> and serves as a router for my lan.  All the machines on my lan that use
>> ntp, make requests and get results happily except this machine:
>>
>> $ ntpupdate us.pool.ntp.org
>> 26 Apr 12:29:30 ntpdate[13172]: no server suitable for synchronization
>> found
> At a guess, you have a filter configured that's breaking UDP traffic on
> port 123.  Try:
>
> 	ntpdate -u us.pool.ntp.org
>
> If that works, then you'll probably want to go looking at your firewall
> configuration.

Thanks for the -u option.  That worked fine so now I have to figure out
what's going on.  Since the other machines work fine, it means that
indeed it's because I'm on the same host as the router.  I don't want to
set port 123 to route specifically to this machine because that would
break all the other machines ntp requests.

This one is tricky.

Gary