[OpenIndiana-discuss] USB Modem CDC on OI under VMWare 4.x and 5.1

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Fri Apr 27 14:14:36 UTC 2012

Hi,
I have this problem since Solaris 10, then OpenSolaris, now OI or any other illumos kernel distro.
If I connect an USB Modem CDC to a native hardware running illumos, the modem is correctly
configured, and using "tip /dev/cua/0" let me communicate with it perfectly.
Under VMWare (4.x or 5.x), I add the USB Interface to the VM, then add the specific USB Device
to the VM.
VMWare let me see that the added device is the correct one (Multitech .....).
I can add both while the illumos VM is running, then I can see the device configured under cgfadm,
and find the /dev/cua/0 linked to the device.
But then, the communication fails: "tip /dev/cua/0" returns "Device not found" and "Device busy".
I tried unconfiuring and disconnecting via cfgadm, then reconnecting with cfgadm, but no way.
The /var/adm/messages shows the system finds the device and configures it.
The only strange line is before the usb device creation, saying "Driver not found", but then after
the device is linked and connected.
Any idea?
Gabriele.