[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hitachi 4 TB disks + HP Microserver + OI 151 + ZFS

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:41:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
<roy at karlsbakk.net> wrote:
>> > The patch allowing this option was, for various reasons, rejected,
>> > and no such option currently exists.
>>
>> Are you able to forward a link to the reasons?
>>
>> I'm asking because were they technical (i.e. something breaks), or
>> merely political (and there isn't a reason why OI couldn't ship zpool
>> with the patch)?
>
> IIRC the reason was that the patch breaks standard syntax, and that certain people thought it bad to fix what appears to be a hardware issue with drives reporting wrong sector size.
>
> I don't have any disk with advanced format, so I can't test - is there a way to query the disk somehow to find if it's using 4k sectors? Model lookup seems an ugly way to do this, and although the patch added an option to force it, it's not an optimal solution. More discussions and a drop-in replacement for zpool can be found here http://wiki.openindiana.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4883847

Most hard drives manufactured this year will be advanced format. It
may still be several years before we get hard drives that don't lie.

I haven't found any way to query the drive, other than looking up the
model number on the manufacturer's website (which isn't always easy,
and sometimes finds conflicting information because you get a
"logical" size of 512 and a "physical" size of 4k).

> Also, I posted a bug report for it here https://www.illumos.org/issues/2663

Thanks :-). We can now track the progress of the OI-specific
discussion about this issue.