[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hitachi 4 TB disks + HP Microserver + OI 151 + ZFS

Peter Wood peterwood.sd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 20:23:46 UTC 2012

I'm building a storage server with Dell MD1000 DAS and I just bought 30
drives with 4K sectors.

One of the reasons I selected the "new" 4K sector is so I can easily find
replacement drives 2-3 years from now when they start failing. Looks like
this was a huge mistake.

I'm fine if the drives report 512B sectors and work in slower legacy mode
as long as they work reliable but seems that this may not be the case. On
top of that my internal drives that make the rpool have 512B sectors so I'm
not sure how workarounds will effect this pool.

Is it fair to say that if one uses 4K drives he will run into alignment
issue sooner or later?

I'm really puzzled what to do here.

Should I try to replace the drives with 512B ones before the storage goes
life?

Any thoughts?

Thank you
Peter