[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS fails to automount at boot

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:31:08 UTC 2012

On 08/06/2012 03:21 PM, James Carlson wrote:
> Daniel Kjar wrote:
>> Thanks for asking about this. I had just assumed the same.  Machines I
>> updated all the way from opensolaris still mounted nfs at boot but my
>> clean 151a5s did not.  Very annoying when apache fails cause it didn't
>> mount htdocs from the file server.
>
> OK.  It's possible that I'm just wrong about this.  The only case where
> I've seen NFS entries in /etc/vfstab was with mount-at-boot set to "no."
>  (And since the introduction of ZFS, I don't really put much in vfstab
> anymore.)
>
> In any event, I think automount provides an easier-to-manage solution.
> And unlike some other operating systems, it actually works reliably on
> OpenIndiana.
>
> But regardless of mounting mechanism, I don't think I'd consider using
> NFS for anything under /etc.  It sort of defeats the point of that
> directory to have anything remote there.  Even if I'm sharing
> configuration between machines, I set up rsync to keep them up-to-date,
> so that a failure (or unreachability) of the NFS server doesn't cause
> otherwise-independent machines to fail.

While I agree with your advice in general, it doesn't in my case. Rest
assured, I have considered the possibility of a network failure and
using NFS is entirely suitable for my needs here. This is a network
streaming service, so if the network is down, the fact that it can't
start up due to an unavailable NFS mount is the least of my problems.

Cheers,
--
Saso