[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS fails to automount at boot

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Mon Aug 6 14:34:52 UTC 2012

the first box I had was sol8 but it was inherited and apparently 'fixed'
if this has been around for longer than that.  I did move to sol from
linux so I may just be confusing my first automount experience.

On 08/ 6/12 10:12 AM, Michael Stapleton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Solaris only since 2.6 and /home has always been an
> autofs mount point. What version of Solaris did not have /home as an
> autofs mount point?
> Or are you confusing OI with some other OS?
>

> Mike
>
> . On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 09:51 -0400, Daniel Kjar wrote:
>
>> I am sure it has great value, why would it be there otherwise?.  I just
>> remember installing a fresh version  solaris  one day and trying to
>> figure out why I couldn't just delete export and use /home like always.
>>
>> Therefore, in my mind I associate it with being frustrated by a "I am
>> sorry Dave, I can't allow you to do that" message until I figured out
>> what had changed.

>>> Read the man pages for the automounter.  Start with automount(1M).
>>>
>>> Yes, the system comes by default with that "crap," but (a) you certainly
>>> are under no obligation to use /export/home if you don't like it and (b)
>>> the mechanism that underlies it is far more general than just auto_home.
>>>    It allows you to trigger configured mounts based on file system access,
>>> and handles fail-over, platform-related variable expansion, and
>>> directory service integration.

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson