[OpenIndiana-discuss] SSD swap space performance

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 16:24:22 UTC 2012

Order of magnitude I already knew.  I was hoping for measured data.  I'm running Solaris 10 on this particular system.  The OI box is a nettop for Internet access.

I'm concerned w/ occasionally running jobs which exceed physical memory.  At most I can only go up to 24 GB by replacing all the 2 GB DIMMS w/ 4 GB DIMMS.

However, I'd not considered the problem of pathological paging patterns.  On a long job one might well wear out an SSD in a single run which would not be helpful.  I don't think I want to try to figure out what the paging patterns of a large solver like glpk are.  Particularly because it almost certainly problem and option dependent.

A dedicated pair of small, fast disks for swap is probably the best option. To the best of my knowledge Solaris will still interleave paging among multiple swap partitions on separate drives. This was something I routinely did on my systems for many years.

IIRC two matched drives were almost twice as fast as one. It was essential that the drives have identical performance, otherwise it actually slowed the system down.  I vaguely recall that more than two didn't improve performance, but it was a long time ago.  I may not have had 4 identical drives.

Have Fun!
Reg