[OpenIndiana-discuss] Code Bounty (Active Directory Integration)

James Relph james at themacplace.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 22:59:39 UTC 2012

As may have become obvious from my last few posts we've been looking at Active Directory integration for the past few weeks (and pretty hard for the past week).  Obviously the CIFS server integration with AD seems pretty reasonable straight out of the box, but other services that want to use AD user details (et. netatalk in our case - NetAFP have been very helpful in looking into this with us) seem to have pretty poor integration unless you go towards LDAP integration with AD (that means either modifying the AD schema or something like IDMU - which means touching the AD again).

We have a pretty big interest in getting something working that doesn't involve touching the AD too much, as that can immediately put off the Windows admins we tend to deal with.  Ideally something with a similar featureset to the Mac OS X AD plugin would be ideal (obviously that's a system we know well!).  The OS X plugin doesn't require any changes to the AD schema for general operation and can immediately be used by other services/applications on the local system without any further work.

If anyone is interested in looking into improving the AD integration in OpenIndiana, if you drop me an email we can discuss a project bounty on this.  We've got a potentially reasonably large budget for funding work on this as we can see some business opportunities that this would make significantly easier.

Thanks,

James.