[OpenIndiana-discuss] ActiveDirectory UID mapping (netatalk)

Günther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Mon Aug 13 17:11:52 UTC 2012

with SAMBA and winbind you may loose:

- snaps via Windows previous version
- Windows compatible ntfs4 ACL (only Posix ACL ?)
- SMB as a ZFS property
- interoperability with NFS4
- movable pools that keep ACL intact
- performance, kernel based CIFS server is mostly faster
- CIFS is managed by Illumos, not a third party product that cares mostly about Linux
- napp-it integration

From Windows and interoperability view CIFS is much better.
A minimal solution may be using at least the UID/GID provided by idmap for
already created AD users, optionally add a SID->UID/GID entry in this database.

In this case, you do not write proper ACL but use at least the same UID/GID like CIFS
I have not tried if CIFS is using the proper SID via idmap when there is only a UID/GID entry in files.