[OpenIndiana-discuss] google drive on openindiana?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Thu Aug 16 02:01:32 UTC 2012

On 08/15/12 10:02 AM, Robbie Crash wrote:
> Chrome/Chromium is a better browser than Firefox in essentially every
> single way. Promoting a better browser is not shameful, it's good customer
> service.

I'm not going to argue with you here, but I will say that my experiences
have been the opposite.  At least on the Mac (Chromium vs. Firefox).

Regardless, options are good.

> Chromium is fully open source. The difference is that Google Chrome is a
> customized Chromium build. The same as the build on Ubuntu is different
> than the build on Windows. The differences are outlined here:
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome. If
> you're on a system with Chrome installed, you can either launch it
> incognito, which disables all their 'proprietary trackers', or you can
> disable all of them through settings.

FWIW, back in April 2011, some guy named ruben did a successful compile
of Chrome and put his URL up on the desktop-discuss list.  The body from
his email message is posted below.

Don't bother clicking the link, his stuff is gone now.  You could
probably find his site on the Wayback machine if you really wanted to.

Anyway, for those of you who remember the follow on discussion, it
wasn't one of thanks for your hard efforts.  Several people posted
messages of distrust because the package(s) were not available from
Google, Illumos or Sun/Oracle, or a site they were familiar with.

It was a sad discussion to observe, and I felt bad for the guy who
jumped through all the hoops he did get get it working.

Jerry