[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris privileges and seteuid()

James Relph james at themacplace.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 09:33:34 UTC 2012

Hi Frank,

>     To prevent aliasing problems, all file systems, archive  and
>     backup  formats,  and  protocols  must store SIDs or map all
>     UIDs and GIDs in the 2^31 to 2^32 - 2 range  to  the  nobody
>     user and group.

I guess my question from that after seeing what Gea has said is the "must store SIDs *or* map all UIDs", which makes me wonder if there's an easy way to store the SIDs that then lets you write the UIDs.  That's obviously what the CIFS client is doing, but it's whether there's an API to do that.

James.