[OpenIndiana-discuss] Code Bounty (Active Directory Integration)

James Relph james at themacplace.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 08:55:52 UTC 2012

Hi Gordon,

Apologies, missed this the other day.

  My advice would be to make it easier to use IDMU.  The modifications
  to AD to support IDMU are quite widely accepted these days, at least
  in organizations that have both Windows and *nix.

The problem is that some of the organisations we're used to integrating Mac clients with (tend to be FTSE companies) often are pretty much straight Windows shops, so anything that deviates from their standard is *really* hard to get through change control (especially now where we've been deploying Macs for years that "just work" with AD (to a fairly decent extent)).

It sounds like Sun were actually looking at something like Mac OS X's handling of external directories at some point (from here:  https://blogs.oracle.com/nico/entry/dealing_with_windows_sids_in ), but they obviously went the other way.

I think now I've got a better understanding of ephemeral IDs (thanks for the confirmation by the way) then they make more sense, yet it still feels a little like the easier route was taken on the development side, leaving a slightly more complicated situation on the administrator side.

Thanks,

James.