[OpenIndiana-discuss] Should I upgrade the pool?

Robert Soubie robert.soubie at free.fr
Fri Aug 17 18:53:00 UTC 2012

Bonjour,

I just rebuilt my home ZFS server using openindiana (formerly Solaris
Xpress 11) and napp-it, an configured it for Windows or Android
clients.  The boot pool (rpool) was built by OI's installer; the storage
pool (tank, 9GB) was created by napp-it's "create pool" function, using
the ashift=12 parameter (6 x WDEARS 1.5Tb disks in RAIDZ2 configuration).
So far, everything works, as a couple of thorough tests have shown, and
I have restored the whole server from a backup machine I built. Napp-it
"dd" benchmarks reports nice figures, 125.02 MB/s Write and 323.88 MB/s
Read.

However, I have noticed that the pool status report (below) contains a
suggestion to upgrade the pool, which is currently v28, which surprises
me. Before proceeding, I would like to obtain informed opinions on the
matter, including risks on the whole setup, if any.

Many thanks for any help,
Robert.

Below is the information obtained from napp-it:

My pools:

Root Pool (ashift = 9):
rpool    5000      16454639525011445801       vdevs: 1
vdev 1: mirror      9      500.07 GB

Storage pool (ashift = 12, obtained through napp-it "Create Pool" command):
tank    28      4308072134310677912       vdevs: 1
vdev 1: raidz2      12      9.00 TB

zpool status (obtained from napp-it->jobs->scrub->pool status):

   pool: rpool
  state: ONLINE
   scan: resilvered 6.47G in 0h4m with 0 errors on Wed Aug 15 23:59:44 2012
config:

     NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
     rpool         ONLINE       0     0     0
       mirror-0    ONLINE       0     0     0
         c4t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         c4t1d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

   pool: tank
  state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
     still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
     pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
   scan: none requested
config:

     NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
     tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
       raidz2-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         c5t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         c5t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         c5t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         c5t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         c5t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         c5t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

--
Éditions de l'Âge d'Or — Stanley G. Weinbaum
http://www.lulu.com/robert_soubie