[OpenIndiana-discuss] Time Machine and quota limiting

Jaco Schoonen jaco at macuser.nl
Sat Aug 18 22:19:06 UTC 2012

Hi Robbie,

> Sorry, I wanted to clarify regarding dedup.

Thanks for the clarification. You made me think again about my setup.

When I originally setup my NAS I did some guessing/planning and enabled dedup for those fs-es where I expected to benefit.
Now that I've been filling it up for over a year I did have a good look at how much I benefit. Turns out my data is rather unique, my dedup-factor is only 1.1 and contributing to that is also some of my tests to verify that dedup works :-(

With the calculations from the link you sent me, dedup-tables are almost 8GB. I did not realize this was the case as my used swap-space is still zero bytes.
Reading further I expect that I am using a great deal of the L2ARC-SSD partition now for dedup-tables. Guess that saved me from getting into noticable delays due to the dedup-tables growing.

Seems like in my case dedup indeed isn't worth it and it is a good idea to switch off dedup all together. I will be migrating my current pool to a new pool with bigger disks soon, so that seems like the easiest way to get rid of the dedup alltogether.

Thanks again for the info!

Jaco