[OpenIndiana-discuss] Development storage product on openindiana

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:03:09 UTC 2012

Hi Alex,

OpenIndiana is a distribution of software under a variety of licenses.
Most of the licenses are "free software", that is the license gives
you the freedom to redistribute commercially without telling or paying
anyone. Some of the licenses may have special requirements when you do
so, for example telling people where they can find the source code
should they wish to modify it. If you include software from
"SFE-encumbered", you may need to pay patent royalties, but not to OI
developers.

If you are selling OI, you may choose to give back in some way (the
license does not *require* you to do so). Normally you need certain
features, you pay a programmer to implement them, and then these
features get put back into the main OI. Alternatively you can donate
to the Illumos Foundation and they will decide how best to allocate
the funds.

Jan

P.S. I am just an OI user, like you, and the above is my
interpretation of the license texts and is not legal advice on behalf
of OpenIndiana or the Illumos Foundation.