[OpenIndiana-discuss] Spontaneous reboot before installation complete

Willard Korfhage openindiana at familyk.org
Thu Aug 23 04:00:48 UTC 2012

I'm trying to install OI 151a5 desktop on a SuperMicro X9SCL-F-O
motherboard (C202 PCH chipset) with 12GB of ram and an Intel E3-1230
CPU. I put the live image on a USB stick. I am installing the OS into a
30GB partition on a new 128GB Kingston SSDNow V200 SSD

I can run the live image from the USB drive by selecting the VESA
display option on the boot menu (with the top option, the machine is
slow to the point of being almost frozen). I go through the installation
process, and 28% through, while the status says "Transferring Contents,"
the cursor freezes, and the machine reboots with garbage on the screen.

Any suggestions on how I can get past this problem?