[OpenIndiana-discuss] Very slow write performance on a 3 disk raidz1-0 zpool

Julius Roberts hooliowobbits at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 04:32:48 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

as per the subject, I'm getting very slow write performance on a 3
disk raidz1-0 zpool.  IIRC the disks are early 1tb WD green drives.
Not sure what i should tell you, but during copies of large 10gb+
files rsync is showing around 2MB/s, which is terribly poor i think.
Sorry if this is a common question, not sure what to do.

twsadmin at darling:~/mdbackup$ zpool iostat Backups 5
               capacity     operations    bandwidth
pool        alloc   free   read  write   read  write
----------  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----
Backups     2.04T   694G     97    330  2.72M  1.95M
Backups     2.04T   694G    170    248  3.98M  1019K
^C
twsadmin at darling:~/mdbackup$ zpool status
  pool: Backups
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 12h56m with 0 errors on Sat Aug 18 20:56:44 2012
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Backups     ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          c2d0s0    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

--
Kind regards, Jules

<golgy> whats so wrong with plumb?
<hoolio> nothing, in itself.  it's just for me, knowing what it means
infers i cannot any longer pretend to not be a complete square when it
comes to computers
<Gryphon> I don't know that knowing anything about plumb turns you
into a nerd, but this conversation already has
<hoolio> are you calling me nerdy?
<checkers> hoolio: you know what initramfs means, AND does. You're
lost to the non-geek world already
<Gryphon> yes
<hoolio> hrm
<hoolio> goodbye cruel world.