[OpenIndiana-discuss] sata hba choice

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 07:36:27 UTC 2012

hi,

First post. I have been following the list on and off for a while and
reading the archives and now I have a question :-)

So I have a HP Proliant Microserver N40L (
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009-5153252-5153253.html?dnr=1)
I am planning to use with openindiana. Home project.

This host has 4 sata drive bays. In there I plan to use 2TB disks (unless 3
TB drop in price all of a sudden). For booting the OS and eventually for
expanding the storage if the need arises, I have a SATA QuickPort Intern
6-Bay ( http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1824 ). I only have a free sata
port on the motherboard, so I need a hba with at least 6 ports on it.

I may choose between a ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller (
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0740.html) or a LSI SAS 9211-8i (
http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9211-8i.aspx
)

The M1015 appears to be an oem lsi card and could be flashed to be in IT
mode, whereas the 9211-81i is a bit more expensive but should just work
without further intervention.

Which one would be more appropiate in your opinion?

Thanks in advance,
--
Groeten,
natxo