[OpenIndiana-discuss] SSDs for ZFS Pool?

Bryan N Iotti ironsides.medvet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 15:53:10 UTC 2012

Sorry to reopen an old post, but I have some questions I can't seem to
find an answer to myself...

I recently caved in and bought an LSI 3041E-R HBA, which I reflashed to
Initiator Target firmware, the latest version available. I have my usual
two 2TB SATA drives attached directly via SATA. I have encountered
Illumos bug #1787 as described here:
https://www.illumos.org/issues/1787

Would installing a SAS-To-SATA interposer card on each disk clear this
error, or would it still act the same way? I mean, if I understand
right, this bug affect only SATA drives on SAS controllers.

Should I just cave in once more and buy some SAS disks, if SMART is so
important to me?

Any thoughts welcome.

Bryan