[OpenIndiana-discuss] sata hba choice

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Fri Aug 24 20:12:24 UTC 2012

I only have one gripe with the mpt2 based cards (2008, 2308, etc) is that
they cant currently be used as boot devices in the presence of an Intel 910
SSD. I have defect 490258-218190922 logged at LSI but there is seemingly no
movement after several weeks. The status of this can be tracked at
http://broken.net/intel-910-ssd/intel-910-ssd-compatibility-issues-with-othe
r-lsi-mpt2-based-products-part-i/ Ironically, the Intel 910 also uses an
mpt2 chip.

My next buy of servers are going out with the EOL'd SAS3081E-R cards which
are 1068e based so I use 800GB Intel 910s. I prefer to boot from LSI cards
as sort of the devil I know as opposed to the devil I don't in the case of
an onboard controller.

j.