[OpenIndiana-discuss] sata hba choice

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 18:56:22 UTC 2012

On 08/25/2012 03:42 PM, Jordan McQuown wrote:
> I can say from experience chaining supermicro sas chassis with any type of disk can be a recipe for disaster. Lsiutil reported a couple million errors in a couple months time which eventually led to some sort of contention and corruption on both sides of our mirrors. These were also SAS and not sata disks.

Have you checked your SAS cabling? Also, lsiutil is for lsi1068 (3G) SAS
chips. I've got a SuperMicro SC847 attached to a pair of lsi
sas2008-based boards. The chassis is internally arranged as a pair of
backplanes, each with two LSI SAS2x36, chained to appear as a single
connector from the back of the chassis (i.e. one connector per SAS
channel bundle for two fully redundant paths to the drives). Initially I
was having trouble with excessive link errors which resulted in poor
performance, lots of errors and generally lots of problems, but I found
this was caused by a faulty SAS cable between the host and the chassis.
Ever since playing around with cabling a bit it's been ticking reliably
like a Swiss clock.

Cheers,
--
Saso