[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sending our zpool offsite using encrypted USB HDDs

Julius Roberts hooliowobbits at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 04:42:42 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

due to a lack of high-speed networking, we're unable to replicate our ZFS
pool offsite, so we're relying on a zfs send to a USB disk.  We'd like that
encrypted.

Currently i have an automated process which creates a zpool Offsite on a
big USB HDD, and then runs something like this, then exports the Offsite
pool.

/sbin/zfs send -R Backups/natoffice at offsite | /usr/bin/encrypt -a aes -k
~/encryption.key -o /Offsite/encrypted_zfs_send_blob

Is there a better way to be doing this?  Ours seems a
little resource intensive and I'm not sure if it's reliable for large >
500gb datasets.

--
Kind regards, Jules

<golgy> whats so wrong with plumb?
<hoolio> nothing, in itself.  it's just for me, knowing what it means
infers i cannot any longer pretend to not be a complete square when it
comes to computers
<Gryphon> I don't know that knowing anything about plumb turns you into a
nerd, but this conversation already has
<hoolio> are you calling me nerdy?
<checkers> hoolio: you know what initramfs means, AND does. You're lost to
the non-geek world already
<Gryphon> yes
<hoolio> hrm
<hoolio> goodbye cruel world.