[OpenIndiana-discuss] Console login/No login for user

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Aug 28 09:33:44 UTC 2012

2012-08-28 13:10, Ivan Gualandri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just installed openindiana on a virtual machne, but i cannot login with
> the user name just created during the installation (it says Login Failed).
>
> And if i try to access with root  it says: "Roles can only be assumed by
> authenticated users".
>
> Now i'm just wondering if i can access via console to user account and
> check if i just mispelled  username/password. I tried ctrl+alt+f1 but it
> doesn't change on text mode.
>
> Anyone can help?

The default user usable for interactive login on the Live media
is "jack" with password "jack". Depending on how you installed
the OS, this user may be present in the resulting installation
(and should be removed for security concerns at least); instead,
there should be an unprivileged user with password that the
installation wizard asked of you.

So you login with an unprivileged user (it may be possible that
it fails with some "weird" characters in the password), and then
you can use "pfexec" and/or "sudo su -" to elevate privileges.

In your case, try to boot the system in single-user mode, this
allows root to be precessed as a user for duration of "repairs"
and login interactively. To boot single-user, press "e" in the
GRUB menu to edit options for the selected boot environment,
select the kernel line and press "e" again, and append "-s" for
single-user mode. Then "enter" to save and "b" to boot.

Alternately, you can boot from live installation media, import
your rpool:
# zpool import -f -R /a -N rpool
# zfs mount rpool/ROOT/openindiana
and fix up the root user-role in /a/etc/user_attr (replace
"type=role" with "type=normal") - this should allow root to
always be an interactive user, but would be against new
security habots ;)
# zpool export rpool

HTH,
//Jim Klimov