[OpenIndiana-discuss] Experiences with Supermicro backplane

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:06:47 UTC 2012

On 08/28/2012 05:02 PM, Franz Schober wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are looking for a new storage system based on a
> Supermicro Chassis 826BE26-R920LPB with
> a BPN-SAS2-826EL2 backplane with two LSI SAS2X28 expander chips
> and a LSI SAS 9211-8i (LSI SAS2008 chip) hba controller.
>
> Does anyone of you have any experiences with this configuration or are
> there any known pitfalls in this configuration using ZFS ?
>
> Thx for your advise,

Been running an SC847 with a four LSI SAS2x36 expanders connected via
two redundant paths from two LSI SAS2008-based cards without any trouble
at all (the chassis itself is loaded with 45 Toshiba MK2001TRKB SAS
drives). Snap together, just works. Only the Toshiba drives needed some
love in scsi_vhci.conf to enable multipath (a trivial operation), but
other than that, that configuration has been a bucket of pure win for me.

Cheers,
--
Saso