[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sending our zpool offsite using encrypted USB HDDs

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Aug 30 08:33:06 UTC 2012

2012-08-29 16:08, Thorsten Heit wrote:
> I'm using bzip2 because it has better compression rates than gzip and
> because our company only uses fast ethernet although every PC has Gigabit
> NICs built in :-o
>
> If you don't like bzip2, then use something else such as gzip, xz, ...

If your modern PCs also have several cores, you can benefit
from parallel implementations - pbzip2 and pigz work like
a charm for our backups, greatly reducing wallclock times.

Caveat: "pigz manyfiles*" did produce invalid streams for
second and later files, at least in some older releases I
tried. I think it was fixed later, but you'd better test.

//Jim