[OpenIndiana-discuss] Some Howto pointers?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Aug 31 16:18:31 UTC 2012

2012-08-31 17:04, Gary Gendel wrote:
> 2) Do I support a 64 and 32 bit installation, or should it just be
> 32-bit? If it's a combination, how do I resolve the installation
> conflicts (bin placement, etc).

Afaik, for libraries, kernel modules, etc. you place 32-bit variants
in base lib path, and 64-bit ones in amd64/. For executables you use
a copy of (or a hard(!)link to) isaexec in the base path, and place
32-bit binaries in i86/.

More generally, some package distros used directory symlinks like
   32 -> ./i86/   ( or ./i386/  or ./i86pc/ )
   64 -> ./amd64/
or
   32 -> ./sparcv7/
   64 -> ./sparcv9/
depending on CPU arch. I am not sure how that worked (with ld's
support or somehow else?) Probably *with* system preferences:

# crle

Default configuration file (/var/ld/ld.config) not found
   Platform:     32-bit LSB 80386
   Default Library Path (ELF):   /lib:/usr/lib  (system default)
   Trusted Directories (ELF):    /lib/secure:/usr/lib/secure  (system
default)

# crle -64

Default configuration file (/var/ld/64/ld.config) not found
   Platform:     64-bit LSB AMD64
   Default Library Path (ELF):   /lib/64:/usr/lib/64  (system default)
   Trusted Directories (ELF):    /lib/secure/64:/usr/lib/secure/64
(system default)