[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Ron Dawson ron.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 19:22:39 UTC 2012

I'm also sad to hear that* *Alasdair Lumsden has resigned as lead of the
project.  I was greatly heartened when Alasdair first announced the project
and have been using OI ever since the early releases on both my personal
laptop and as my new work desktop (my other work desktop is Solaris
10/SPARC).  I wish that he had not been so down on the viability of OI in
his resignation letter, but I can certainly understand the rant given the
frustrations he was dealing with.

After reading though the OI-dev thread I have to say that I hope that
Garret D'Amore is not correct in the assertion that OI (or any other
Illumos/opensolaris derived distribution with a graphical front end
userland) is a dead end.  I work with a Solaris or OI desktop every day and
yes, there are many things that would be nice to have, but the argument
that we just give up and use Apple laptops or whatnot as our front-end
systems seems a bit defeatist and reminds me of what we went through in
Unix land back when Windows NT first arrived in the data centre.

In my workplace we are still using some SPARC desktop applications on aging
Sun SPARC workstations and Tadpole laptops.  We also utilize Sun Ray
technology extensively in our training environment.  (As an aside, I
remember talking to Garrett back when he was working for Tadpole/General
Dynamics about specing out a Tadpole purchase for our portable Sun Ray
training classroom).  Our production servers are all running Solaris 10
(SPARC) and there are a couple of Solaris 11 (x86) servers I'm looking to
bring online soon.  I was hoping to complete our migration of our desktop
apps to OI running on x86 for out in the field, but I suppose we could just
continue on that road to a Linux desktop if we have to.  In theory we could
run our Sun Ray clients on a Linux server although I have not tried setting
that up.  I'm not sure how much help Oracle would be willing to provide if
we were not running Oracle Linux.  I would prefer to remain in the
Solaris/Illumos/OI world though.

- Ron