[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI151a5 Fails to boot on AMD PileDriver Laptop

Handojo handoyog at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 18:40:37 UTC 2012

I just bought an AMD Trinity Laptop from Samsung ( Samsung NP535U4X-S01ID ). It is based on AMD A8-4555. 8GB of RAM
I tried to install OI151a5
It fails even before gdm takes place.

And just before this last error message appears, there is always a "tick" sound.

The last error message is :
==================================
Console login service(s) cannot run
Enter user name for system maintenance (control-d to bypass) :
==================================
Since I don't know what username/password is for system maintenance ( tried
combination of jack/jack, jack/openindiana, openindiana/openindiana and
none of them works )
I press control-d, and it still fails.
I had read this site just for reference :
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz/2012/10/24/amd-piledriver-fx-8350-on-openindiana/
I guess there is a difference between handling Piledriver APU and
Piledriver CPU, or, Dave Koel Meyer was lucky with his hardware

Anyone have similar experience, or have successfully overcome this problem ?

Regards,

Handojo