[OpenIndiana-discuss] Slow performance of guests in virtualbox on OI?

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Tue Dec 4 16:10:30 UTC 2012

> From: Dan Swartzendruber [mailto:dswartz at druber.com]
>
> So I have an OI151a7 box.  Latest vbox is installed with several guests.

Make sure you have guest additions installed into each of the guests.
Make sure you don't give all the CPU's to any single guest.  In my experience, I give each guest half the CPU's.  Then it load balances pretty well...  If I have 8 cores and I'm running 4-8 guests, I give them all 4 cores.  So I am overloading the CPU's, but as long as they're not all assigned to a single guest, they seem to load balance well.

Virtualbox disk performance is poor if you're using vdi.  (IMHO.)  So instead, wrap a raw device (zvol) in vmdk file.  It works much better.