[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fw: OI151a5 Fails to boot on AMD PileDriver Laptop

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Dec 5 18:05:08 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-05 18:24, Handojo wrote:
> I tried, but it can't go into gnome for installation. Same error happens. Any other issue, anyone ?

>> I just bought an AMD Trinity Laptop from Samsung ( Samsung NP535U4X-S01ID ). It is based on AMD A8-4555. 8GB of RAM >I tried to install OI151a5  You should try OI 151a7 to see if it works better. Bob

I don't think my idea would ultimately help for a laptop use, but can
you see if you can boot from text media ("server installation")?
If that works for you, the problem might be in some GUI/sound driver.
In that case you might be able to use the installed text-mode OS to
later "pkg install" the graphics packages, and selectively try to
disable some of the services and drivers involved in that.

If you're lucky, you would end up with a useable system without some
features (i.e. sound, because video is likely to work as VESA VGA).

Alternately, try to disable the optional hardware (sound, NICs, RAID)
in BIOS settings, or try to set things into Legacy modes - maybe
without seeing some disturbing piece of the hardware, your graphical
installer and OS will boot successfully.

For example, my laptop sees its SATA driver most of the time, but not
always, when booted from live media (installer), but hasn't yet seen
it while booted from the HDD - so I am limited to running OI with the
disk in suboptimal IDE (Legacy) mode. I had some ideas, but did not
yet have time to follow on them to try and fix this.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov