[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem running rsync with smf service

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 7 20:43:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 03:19:13PM -0500, steve at linuxsuite.org wrote:

>          I installed rsync as per the openindiana wiki. The original
> /lib/svc/method/rsyncd works fine with smf. I want to
> run it from smf as user "nobody"
>

>       ******** summary of problem ************
>
>       I modifed /lib/svc/method/rsyncd. If I run
>
> /lib/svc/method/rsyncd start
>
>       it works fine and runs as expected. If I use
>
> svcadm enable rsyncd
>
>       to start the service it does not run, goes into "maintenance"
> condition and logs
> error via syslog. The important error seems to be
>
> [ID 702911 daemon.warning] rsync: getcwd(): Permission denied (13)
> [ID 702911 daemon.warning] rsync error: errors selecting input/output
> files, dirs (code 3) at util.c(1002) [Receiver=3.0.9]

To change the user under which a service runs, you should change the
`user' and `group' properties in the manifest.  The user must have a
home directory.  If the user is not root, you will also need to change
the `privileges' property to add the necessary privileges.  The
smf_method man page explains this technique.  There are examples in
/lib/svc/manifest on how to do it.