[OpenIndiana-discuss] Finding pools after reinstall

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Dec 10 12:12:24 UTC 2012

On 12/09/12 13:35, Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
> I have a file server with several disks and OpenSolaris b125 (iirc). It has
> hummed away nicely since 2009 or so and I've done nothing except for
> changing a faulty disk drive. The other day it went down and refused to
> boot. I got a new disk and disconnected all drives and replaced the boot
> disk. Then I installed OpenIndiana 147 on the new disk and reconnected the
> other disks. BUT, when I try to find the zpools on the old disk with zpool
> import, it says nada. And format only lists one disk besides the boot disk.
> So, ideas?

I think the first (and most important) problem to solve is why the
system doesn't see those disks.  The most likely cause of that is that
you're missing a driver.

I would start by looking at three sources of information.  First,
assuming this is an x86-type machine (you didn't say), check the BIOS.
What does it say about installed cards?  Next, check /usr/bin/scanpci
and "/usr/sbin/prtpicl -v".  What do they say about PCI devices
discovered and the drivers attached?  Finally, check with Mr. Google.
He knows almost everything.  ;-}