[OpenIndiana-discuss] Future of OI

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Dec 10 15:37:54 UTC 2012

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012, alka wrote:

> i would be happy, if OI can be a success story
>
> but
> - who leads the development?
> - which major enterprise/ organisation stays behind?
>
> the current answer is: none

You are talking about a figure-head type person like Mark
Shuttleworth?

There is no major enterprise/organisation behind Illumos either.

> If you look at http://echelog.com/logs/browse/oi-dev/
> there is no discuss

Did you consider that perhaps the currently active developers are
communicating via something other than IRC?  As an Internet user for
21 years now, I have yet to use IRC (or even Twitter).  Email has
always been the primary communication mechanism for the open source
projects I am involved with.

> If you check last developer meetings at wiki.openindiana.org
> last was last year ( at the moment  openindiana.org is offline at all)

The site seems to be available from here.  While the main page of the
site still mentions oi_151a_prestable5, oi_151a_prestable7 is
available as of October 6th, which seems pretty recent to me.

> If you look at comments from Illumos: no future for a general use OS like OI
> http://gdamore.blogspot.de/2012/08/response-to-alasdairs-resignation.html

While Garrett is important to Illumos (which is the basis for
OpenIndiana) he has no interest at all in a graphical user interface
on Illumos since he uses a Mac for that purpose.  Regardless, many
Illumos developers seem to use OpenIndiana.

> I hope, you may be right.
> While SmartOS and OmniOS can replace OI on servers, they are not as
> widespreaded or known at all.

SmartOS and OmniOS serve rather different focused purposes and each
will succeed based on their purpose and merits.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn