[OpenIndiana-discuss] Finding pools after reinstall

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Dec 10 19:55:25 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-09 19:35, Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
> other disks. BUT, when I try to find the zpools on the old disk with zpool
> import, it says nada. And format only lists one disk besides the boot disk.

I believe this is the main symptom, and James made some good
suggestions: it seems that the new OS does not see your HBA
and/or disks. It is possible, for example, because OpenSolaris
could use some closed-source drivers not provided with illumos
kernel now (so not with OpenIndiana distro either). Likewise,
some drivers could be replaced or renamed - though they should
have found your disks then...

Alternately, some users recently on list had problems with
their vendors' rebranded LSI HBAs and downloaded the OEM's
drivers for Solaris.

Is your old (working) installation completely inaccessible?
You might want to make its copy, upgrade it to OpenSolaris 134b
and then to OpenIndiana, following the tutorial on OI Wiki.
What I'd hope for is that if the old OS had the needed drivers,
the upgrade procedure would inherit them into OI.

Good luck,
//Jim Klimov