[OpenIndiana-discuss] rack server recommendation

Mark Creamer whitetr6 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 15:13:49 UTC 2012

I like the SuperMicro-based servers that Silicon Mechanics sells. Not
because there's anything different about them from a supermicro server you
can buy elsewhere, but because the support (pre and post-sale) at Silicon
Mechanics is outstanding. All I have had to do is ask them to spec a server
for me that will work with Solaris/Illumos operating systems and their
engineers knew exactly how to set it up.

Otherwise, you just have to research what storage controllers will work
properly in JBOD mode (I use LSI), along with the other pertinent drivers.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Achim Wolpers <achimwo7 at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> we bought a Dell PowerEdge R420 as an OI Box. Even though it is listed in
> der HCL in the OI wiki, neither the broadcom network interface nor the hba
> is supported by OI drivers. So we had to attach a new network interface and
> have to boot from an external jbod box, since the internal hdd slots are
> not accessible.
>
> Because I don't feel like testing all kinds of servers I am asking for a
> couple of recommendations for 1 hu rack servers that work out of the box
> with OI.
>
> Thanx in advance!
>
> Achim

Mark