[OpenIndiana-discuss] Building Node.js

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 16 04:55:14 UTC 2012

Well, I'm not an OpenIndiana developer, and I can't speak of the specific items you mentioned, but I've spent the past three weeks building an OpenIndiana server, and have had to compile several pieces of software from source.

I found that most things compiled easiest with the gnu compiler, which you can install with the OpenIndian package manager.  I'd say try things with this first.  That's also what I've seen when I've Googled for info about stuff.

In the shell, where your Makefile is, do this:

export PATH=/usr/gnu/bin/:$PATH
echo $PATH

The echo is just so you know you have it set right.

Then do your ./configure  -- make -- make install

Or whatever you're going to do.

Now some things simply won't work with the gnu compiler.  Like for instance, for some reason the Perl DBD::mysql module wasn't included with Perl, and since Perl was compiled with Sun's compiler, I had to use Sun's (Oracle's) SolarisStudio.

So, I had to do this in the shell, instead:

export PATH=/usr/solarisstudio/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-bin/solarisstudio12.3/bin/:$PATH

export CC=cc

./configure  -- make -- make install

Like I said, I'm not an expert at this by any means, but this is what worked for me.  It will be interesting to see if an expert will have other advice, or advice which is tailored more to your situation.

I hope this helps.

Peter, hieromonk

----
Dormition Skete