[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tribblix update

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 18:37:24 UTC 2012

Tribblix being a part-time hobby project means that progress tends
to come in fits and starts, but I am moving along.

Milestone 2 of Tribblix is based directly on Illumos. It was based
on Illumos before, of course, but by proxy. Now I'm generating the
packages that come from illumos-gate directly from my build, rather
than repackaging bits that OI have built. I'm still dependent on OI
for the remainder of the base OS (things like libxml, for example,
and the whole of the X11 consolidation comes from OI).

That's the major change in Milestone 2. There are minor fixes, and
a few new and updated packages.

http://www.tribblix.org/

In parallel, I've been trying to get LibreOffice going. I can now get it
built and installed. (It's clear that others have trodden this path
before me, I just lift patches from posts to mailing lists that I can find
via Google.) Unfortunately, it exits during startup and I need to
look into that more closely. A first attempt at version 4 indicates
there's a lot more pain ahead.

I'm keeping a keen eye on other lightweight desktops. E17 builds
with very little effort, and the full E17 release is just around the
corner. It would be nice to have LXDE and awesome available as
well. I'm still looking for a viable graphical login manager.

--
-Peter Tribble