[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tribblix update

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Dec 17 11:41:08 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-17 06:59, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Oh, and it assumes no one needs 32-bit binaries any more, since all Solaris 11
> users have to be running the 64-bit kernel since the 32-bit kernel was EOL'ed.
> (32-bit libraries are still there for binary compatibility with other programs,
>   it's just most of the /usr/bin/x* commands converted to 64-bit.)
>
> If you care about 32-bit support, that's one more change you'll have to undo.

Well, I may probably get corrected (and should, if need be) - but
in such discussions I've always thought (and heard) that these are
two different things. 64-bit kernel is for optimal harnessing of
hardware with large (>4gb) memory and perhaps wider instructions
on CPU.

64-bit or 32-bit userspace programs is about addressing virtual
memory again and large files to an extent (AFAIK the latter can
be used with 32-bit programs too). 64-bit userspace with "small"
programs like many UNIX command-line tools, GUI applets, etc.
which don't feasibly need to juggle gigabytes of data at once -
now, that would also be about wasting RAM and CPU cycles on
pushing around more bytes of pointers and other increased
structures with no practical gain.

Am I wrong to maintain this point of view?

Thanks,
//Jim Klimov