[OpenIndiana-discuss] Finding pools after reinstall

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Dec 19 14:07:30 UTC 2012

> From: Thommy M. Malmström [mailto:thommy.m.malmstrom at gmail.com]
>
> Thanks for your suggestion guys. The zpool import -f didn't help BUT so far
> I had not physically attached the important disks, those with all my
> digital images. I tried that today and zpool import saw that pool, thank
> FSM.

Sorry I didn't read this thread till today - The first thing is, you *must* be able to see the disks via
	sudo format -e < /dev/null
If they're not there, reboot, make sure they're enabled in BIOS, and
	sudo devfsadm -Cv
After that, they should be visible, or else you're missing a driver.
After that, the import should work, unless you were doing something funny like using partitions or other sub-components.

> You suggest I install for least trouble? I'm open for suggestions and I
> have no problems with command line versions. My main wish is long term
> reliability. Should I even consider Solaris 11?

SmartOS for home file server, Openindiana Desktop for home workstation, Openindiana Desktop for virtualization server, Oracle Solaris if you want commercial support...  And I certainly wouldn't outrule Nexenta.