[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing 151a5 server from USB over serial console

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Wed Dec 19 17:29:26 UTC 2012

On 12/14/12 19:48, Dustin Marquess wrote:
> So I tried taking the original .usb image and writing it, w/o any
> changes.  The problem is the last thing I see on the serial console is
> just:
>
> GRUB
>
> So there's no way to edit the menu and add the command line arguments
> to the kernel.

In that case, I think you might have a BIOS problem.  I've done exactly
this on headless Sun X4500 systems, and all I had to do was tell the
BIOS to redirect to the serial console, and that's where the GRUB menus
appeared.

> Surely I'm not the only one trying to do this?

On whatever hardware you're using with whatever limitations and/or
configuration it might have?  Possibly so.