[OpenIndiana-discuss] Knowledge Base for Compiling and Installing Software Not Available as Packages.

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 20 04:35:43 UTC 2012

This kind of goes along with the freenx post that just came in.

I've spent the last three weeks building our first OpenIndiana server intended for production use.  I had to compile from source several pieces of software that didn't seem to be in the repositories that came loaded with OI.  I didn't even think to look in the wiki  page about other repositories, until just now.

These are things like NUT (Network UPS Tools), and Tomcat 7, as well as some more obscure items, some of which were very difficult to install.

Because I have to build three servers that are basically the same, I took very good notes on what I did to get each of these things working.

I had the thought of making wiki pages on how I went about installing these, including the service manifest and method files that I made.

I've created a page in the "OpenIndiana Handbook", under "#3. Installing software and package management", with the thought of adding child pages for each piece of software.

I don't have time to add any of the actual pages tonight -- I was mostly just trying to see if it'd let me add the category -- but I thought I'd add six or eight pages to it over the next couple of weeks.

Perhaps some of you all might like to contribute to it, too?

If there are any objections to this, it'd be nice to know before I put a significant amount of effort into this...