[OpenIndiana-discuss] Knowledge Base for Compiling and InstallingSoftware Not Available as Packages.

Dormition Skete dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 20 05:23:23 UTC 2012

Well, ideally, if every one of us who needed to install a piece of software that wasn't available in package form would make and sponsor an IPS package for it, I think that would be the best thing.  But I, for one, am not real keen on learning how to make IPS packages -- especially since so many people hate IPS, and in my opinion, its future looks questionable.

What you are proposing sounds interesting, but again, it's yet another thing to learn, and another layer of complexity which also duplicates that which the packaging system should take care of.

For most (?) of us, we build a server once or twice a year.  Some things are just not worth the trouble to automate.

My own rule of thumb is, every program I write has to pay for itself -- with money and/or time saved -- within the first year.  If it doesn't do that, I don't bother with it.