[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mirror IPS package repos?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Dec 31 18:08:21 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-31 17:46, Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
> Hey, I'd like to make a mirror of the IPS repos for openindiana.org, anyone
> have a command they could suggest that could run, maybe using rsync, wget
> or curl?
>
> Any other suggestions? I'd like to try out mirroring it on an Amazon S3
> bucket, see how much it'd cost to use.
>
> Thanks in advance. Happy New Year! :)

Well, there is a number of Google hits on OI wiki alone ;)

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Mirroring+OpenIndiana
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Mirrors

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Making+a+LAN+mirror+of+global+package+repositories

* The latter was my overview of the procedure with many links in
   the end.

There are two procedures: unpack a tarball or rsync from scratch,
or unpack the tarballs and rsync over that. The main problem with
tarballs is that every release used a different directory structure
inside the tarball, so it is problematic to be certain that you've
properly applied several tarballs to have many repos for different
releases all-in-one, so rsync is more straightforward to my taste.

Also there is a legacy tarball (60Gb or so) which is outside the
OI repos' scope and is provided separately.

Happy new year! :)
//Jim