[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 11/11 Opensource part1 and part2

Michael Kerpan madcrow.maxwell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 23:04:11 UTC 2012

I take it that the once-promised/planned kernel source release for
Solaris 11 is officially canceled...

Frankly, this whole situation reminds me a bit of the situation with
Borland's InterBase DBMS. First, it was released as open source and
then new owners got cold feet and took it closed again. Since that
point, the fork of the last open release (now known as Firebird) has
continued strong, while the closed version has essentially sunk
without a trace. Unless Oracle wises up, I forsee a similar outcome in
Solaris-land.

Mike