[OpenIndiana-discuss] Firefox 10

cpforum cpforum at orange.fr
Fri Feb 3 17:47:22 UTC 2012

If Openindiana is your desktop OS, some very good extensions update for Thunderbird 10 come this time very quickly :

Enigmail 1.3.5
http://www.mozilla-enigmail.org/download/release/1.3/enigmail-1.3.5-sunos5-i386.xpi

Lightning 1.2.1
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/releases/1.2.1/contrib/solaris-x86/

And FireFTP 2.0.1 for Firefox 10 :

https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/fireftp/

I also read somewhere that starting with Firefox 10 ESR, extension working with 10.0 shoud work with all 10.0.x (maintained until April 2013). So packaging Firefox and Thunderbird 10 and theses extensions with the expected oi151b (stable) should be fine for end users.
I think that OS get more and more users with the help of desktop users fisrt (the desktop way to celebrity). Windows, MacOS, SunOS 4 (in the 80th) and some Linux distro are good examples, and are now also largely used on servers.

I ask myself if Sun really try a came back with OpenIndiana/Solaris 11 as an OS desktop alternative too. The crisis and Oracle killed this opportunity :

Here are 4 cancelled (but always working under openindiana) softwares for Solaris :

http://www.openoffice.org/download/ : last is 3.3.0 but we are waiting for new OOo release from Apache fondation or a LibreOffice binary.

http://get.adobe.com/fr/reader/otherversions/ : Adobe reader last is 9.4.1 (Linux is 9.4.7)
http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/unix/solaris/ : Opera last is 10.11 (current is 11.62)
http://www.real.com/realplayer/download : RealPlayer 11 (mp3, ogg, theora, real and some others)