[OpenIndiana-discuss] GPU driver issues in OpenIndiana 151a and a noisy GPU fan

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Feb 4 16:32:05 UTC 2012

On 02/ 4/12 05:03 AM, Nikola M. wrote:
> On 02/ 1/12 05:51 PM, Robin Axelsson wrote:
>> I'm using an ATI Radeon Juniper card (HD5770) and I reported a little over a
>> year ago that the screen went black as Xorg starts when using the radeon
>> driver on OI 148. The solution was to ditch the radeon driver and use the VESA
>> driver in its stead.
> Best thing one can do with AMD graphics on Solaris/Illumos and Openindiana is to
> get rid of it,
> and get Nvidia graphics card that actually have proprietary binary drivers for
> Solaris/Opensolaris based OS'es.

For Solaris, I fully agree that the nvidia driver is the way to go for
performance, features, & stability.   For illumos-based distros, I cannot
guarantee that nvidia's driver will always continue to work, as it does
depend on some private interfaces of the Solaris kernel, and if those
evolve and illumos version of gfx-private does not, it may not always
work.   (It probably will as long as older Solaris 10 releases are supported,
but that's not going to be forever, though it's more likely any card you
buy today will move to a nvidia legacy driver before the main branch drops
Solaris 10 support.)

> Maybe best thing would be to bring more people to KMS Illumos implementation and porting radeon and other drivers.

That's really the only viable way for illumos & openindiana to get and
continue graphics driver support now.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com