[OpenIndiana-discuss] Boot failure - degraded boot pool

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 11:33:40 UTC 2012

Dear list,

I had a power outage at my house recently and my OpenIndiana backup server has failed to reboot.

I've attempted the following diagnostics:

- boot with -k -v shows a kernel panic where the boot pool fails to mount because it is degraded.

- I've booted with Gparted Live CD and can verify that the discs (3 drives) are readable and pass smartmon short tests.

- I've booted the OI151 live dvd, which goes into maintenance mode. Log in with user "root" and password "jack" and zpool import does not recognise the pools.

There appears to be no "zdb", "cfgadm" nor "iostat" on the live dvd - at least when it's in maintenance mode, do I don't know how to test anything.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do more diagnostics / repairs??

Regards,
Matt