[OpenIndiana-discuss] squid proxy server, WCCP and OpenIndiana

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Wed Feb 15 23:21:57 UTC 2012

I am successfully running the Squid proxy server version 3.1.8 on my OpenIndiana
b151a install.  The compile went find and I have been running this application
for about a month without issue.

Now I would like to go to the next level and enable WCCP (Web Cache
Communication Protocol) on my router back to my Squid installation.

* Note: I realize that this question should have been resolved on the Squid
mailing list, but that didn't happen.  Please read my full note before shooting
flames my way. :)

In my RTFM attempt, I found the Squid FAQ/wiki somewhat linux oriented,
especially in regards to WCCP setup.  Following that, I hit Yahoo/Lycos/Google.
I did uncover that other running Solaris did come up with a workable solution.
This solution involved grabbing/compiling a GRE (Generic Routing Encapsulation)
module from an application called OOPS.  And my primary concern following this
approach was that all of this correspondence I uncovered was dated in the
2003/2004 time period using much older versions of Solaris.

I have posted my findings to the Squid mailing list, and in-short, came up nill.

I believe that crypto capabilities were greatly increased from Solaris 10 forward.

Has anyone done anything like this?  And does OpenIndiana include any type of
GRE support?  I poked around some in cryptoadm and IPSEC, but nothing jumped out
at me.

TIA for any comments,

Jerry