[OpenIndiana-discuss] zfs corruption

Scott LeFevre slefevre at indy.rr.com
Tue Feb 21 23:59:46 UTC 2012

I'm fairly new to openindiana and zfs.  I've been running it for a year
or more with a lot of success.  I'm currently running oi 151a.  I have a
server setup w/ 9 drives in a single zpool at version 28.  Last week, I
added a ssd drive and partitioned it for a zpool log and cache.  Over
the weekend, the server locked up and I had to power cycle the box.
When it powered up, it wouldn't mount one of the datasets under tank1
and wouldn't go any further.  I booted to the oi_151a cd image, imported
the tank1 pool where it showed the ssd log partition had 8 crc errors.
Using zpool status -v tank1, it also showed the pool online but
errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

        tank1/media:<0x0>

I cleared the device errors with zpool clear tank1 and exported the pool
tank1.  When I rebooted to my oi 151a installation, I imported the pool
and spot checked the file system which seems to be fine.

I then tried to remove the zil partition using zpool remove tank
c2t6d0p0.  The command completes but doesn't remove the device nor does
it give an errors as to why.  I've tried offlining and detaching the
drive and the removing with no luck.  I ran a scrub over the weekend but
it found no errors.

So, I'm stuck with a zpool that looks acts like its fine but shows
errors and a zil that I don't fully trust that I can't remove.  I'm open
to suggestions on how to clean up the error and remove the zil.  I've
searched the web for similar errors and it seems the general consensus
is to back, destroy, create, and restore the pool.  That's all well and
fine but I don't have that option at the moment.  Here's what the pool
looks like today.

# zpool status -v tank1
  pool: tank1
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
	corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
	entire pool from backup.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 12h55m with 0 errors on Mon Feb 20 23:41:17
2012
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	tank1       ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c2t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c1t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c1t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c1t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c1t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c1t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c2t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c1t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c2t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	logs
	  c2t6d0p0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	cache
	  c2t6d0p1  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

        tank1/media:<0x0>

Scott LeFevre