[OpenIndiana-discuss] RaidZ-2 Array Failure - Trying to recover

Echo Binary echobinary at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 09:09:57 UTC 2012

Hello All :)

So okay - I have a controller card with 12 internal SATAII ports and
have been successfully running an array of all 1.5TB disks for the
past few years. First on OpenSolaris, then on OpenIndiana.

A few months ago 1 disk failed and I was of course concerned, but
being a RaidZ-2 I rolled the dice and hoped there would not be another
failure.  Then around Christmas I got the funds to replace the disk -
only to discover after getting back home that there was another disk
failure.

It is my understanding that the RaidZ-2 array can remain functional
with 1 failed disk. But with 2 failed - It will not function but can
still be recovered - yes?

So - I have the 2 brand new replacement drives, i swapped them in, and
tried the zfs replace command. etc...   However it keeps telling me
that the array canot replace the drives because it is not online. I
try to online it and the command locks up- forcing me to close that
terminal window.

>From then on zpool status and zfs list just lock up the command line and hang.

I hope that there is something obvious that I have missed. Or perhaps
something not so obvious that someone on this list can help me with :)
Here are some computer stats:
Dual Core 3GHz proc
8GB RAM

OpenIndiana: Build 148
ZFS Version: (not sure - I think it is the highest one that came on oi_148)

Any pointers or help would be great!
Thanks!

:EchoBinary